Sunday, September 20, 2015

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart." ~Confucius

Well, I'm about to go to the library, does that mean I should skip and whistle merrily on my way to the place where I will inevitably spend hours poring over books, writing essays, and studying for exams?

Not exactly.

Matthew Cusick Map Art--Course of Empire Mixmaster, courtesy of Digital Bus Stop
Although this quote sounds rather cheesy, Confucius (at least to my knowledge) was not a cheesy man.  His philosophy outlined the importance of moral values, justice, compassion, and sincerity, which are all admirable traits.

I'll admit it, this quote sounds like it would appear in large, looping text on the front of a middle school girl's diary, surrounded by sweeping mountains, blooming flowers, and a beaming sun--a gag-worthy presentation, to say the least.  Yet, when standing alone in simple black text, Confucius's words are some of the most inspiring I have ever read.

He implies that, in order to live a full and satisfying life, one must demonstrate enthusiasm at every opportunity.  By this logic, even my trip to the library merits some version of gusto on my part.  Gusto, in the sense that because I am going, I should direct all my effort and attention to the task at hand by concentrating, being present in the moment, and soaking in and digesting every word that I read.  After all, I decided to go to the library, so why not "go with all my heart" and make the most of it by learning, comprehending, and doing good work?

Since that was a fairly boring example, I'll now relate this to an adventure like cliff diving.  First off, if you partake in this exhilarating, terrifying experience, I respect your bravery.  Never in five million years would you see me at the top of a cliff preparing to jump, unless there were a giant pit of fluffy pillows at the bottom (which there wouldn't be).  Anyway, in a thrilling situation such as cliff diving, Confucius encourages pumping even more zest and wholeheartedness into the act by being aware of the experience and how it affects you.

Photo courtesy of Magnolia Box
For example, at the top of the cliff, you may feel wonder and awe by looking down at the (hopefully) spectacular view and appreciate the wind whipping around you.  Then, as you're about to jump, nerves may kick in, but you notice that they only feed into your adrenaline rush.  As you jump, a feeling of complete freedom (and maybe terror) may overcome you, which will only last a few seconds.  Now it's over and you feel a rush and an overall sense of relief and satisfaction for completing the feat.

The average person likely feels all these things but does not think to notice, process, and appreciate them all.  Confucius encourages us to notice everything we sense and encounter in life in order to heighten our experience here on Earth.  By living with attentiveness, going places with all our hearts becomes much easier.

When faced with an activity that is pleasurable to us, going with all our hearts is already fairly easy.  The best times to keep these words of Confucius in mind, however, are those times when we need to complete a task or go somewhere that makes us anxious, annoyed, or angry.  Every day is an opportunity to infuse your world with energy and avidity.

So, whether you are going to the library or going cliff diving today, make sure that you go with all your heart and bring plenty of zest and enthusiasm to spare.



10 comments:

  1. I had no idea that this quote came from Confucius. I find it sprawled across a multitude of Pinterest pages, and in my mind that didn't make me assume it was said by a great philosopher. I love the perspective you took on it and the two contrasting scenarios, cliff diving and going to the library, that you used. It was a great read and perfect picture choices in my opinion, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, I loved your post! I feel like it's important to always give whatever you're doing your all. I'll definitely be reading your blog every week. Maybe I'll even find my new favorite quote through your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great analysis of a great quote that many people may not expect. Your analogy to cliff diving was spot-on, and the comment on how cheesy the quote is (or isn't) was really funny to me. Also, I liked the pictures you added, which complement both the post itself and the overall aesthetic of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the simplest quotes have the best messages. This is a quote that people of any age can understand and use, albeit simplicity can allow for multiple interpretations. That opportunity for interpretation is one of the enduring qualities. I really enjoy your interpretation of the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living in the moment... it's undoubtedly important. From little things to big things, because if you don't you're not living to your full extent, and I think you said that perfectly! Thanks to a few high school projects I recognized this quote, and when you said Confucius I remembered grinding through quotes to find a good one, and this was one of them! I know for me personally whenever I'm partaking in an "adrenaline junkie" activity, one of the thoughts I get is, "well... if God wants me dead, he'll kill me." Even though this may sound kind of morbid, it clears all doubt of doing something in my mind and lets me experience it even more. I love this blog and I'll be keeping up! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you acknowledge in the beginning that it may sound cheesy and then refuted the assumption. This made me wonder how the teachings of a wise man like Confucius became sort of mundane and lackluster. His teachings that once allowed China to prosper throughout and long after his lifetime have descended to those silly motivational pictures that litter the internet. Nevertheless, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this quote and I think it's message is something we can all apply to our lives. I loved the way you explained it and applied it to things we can all relate too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this quote makes my yanky slim do a dance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Except you never confirmed whether this quote actually comes from Confucius. It does not. You've taken unverified text, completely extracted from its original context, and made it mean what you want, and basically tagged Confucius name on it as justification. Do some actual research, before blathering on!

    ReplyDelete