Tuesday, October 6, 2015

"It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~Albus Dumbledore

I am an avid Harry Potter fan.  My mom started reading them to me aloud when I was in second grade and I became immediately and irrevocably obsessed.  Since the beginning of my relationship with the Harry Potter series, I have read each book more than ten times (that is not an exaggeration) and the pages are so dog-eared and ripped that I need to read some of the books sitting at a desk so they don't fall apart.  I have taken every Sorting Hat quiz known to man (I am proud to say that I am a Gryffindor) and I know the secret Butterbeer recipe at Starbucks by heart.

All seven Harry Potter books are intricately thought-out, incredibly multi-dimensional, and amazingly realistic, which makes them the perfect read for anyone wishing to escape into a fantasy world for a few hours.  I was actually slightly disappointed that I didn't receive a letter when I was eleven inviting me to hop on Platform 9 3/4 in Kings Cross Station to begin my education at Hogwarts.

I will be forever grateful, however, to J.K. Rowling for giving the world the gift of Harry Potter.  Not only does the series provide a welcome distraction from the real world, the books also introduce dynamic characters that offer insightful advice and words of wisdom that are applicable to any Muggle's (non-wizarding folk's) life.  The words of Professor Albus Dumbledore (Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Order of Merlin, First Class, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, and Grand Sorcerer--I'm sorry, I couldn't resist) always prove to be extremely wise.  He said in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Apart from our surface-level talents, everyone also has the ability to be kind, to be hard-working, and to be optimistic.  I believe that people are inherently good.  We all have the abilities inside us to be exemplary people, but we have to consciously choose to use our abilities (like kindness, perseverance, and optimism) to prove our worth.

When Harry donned the Sorting Hat on his first day at Hogwarts to be sorted into a House, he persistently implored, "Not Slytherin, not Slytherin."  He did not want to be associated with the House that produced the darkest Wizards in all of history.  He later finds out that the Hat thought he had all the qualifications and abilities to be in Slytherin, yet it placed him in Gryffindor because his choice defined his true character.

Although I acknowledge that the Harry Potter novels are complete fiction, I am not ashamed to say that many of the most important lessons I have ever learned have come from the dog-eared pages of the most beloved seven books on my shelf.  Because of Albus Dumbledore, I learned that every minuscule choice in life displays a different aspect of our identity.  Whether we notice it or not, our choices automatically expose our true characters to the world.

So,

Choose wisely.

 

9 comments:

  1. I love Harry Potter! Though I've only read through the series once, they're still some of my favorite books ever. Pretty much anything Dumbledore says can be applied to life, whether or not we actually have wands and potions. I think this quote really rings true for all people. Your abilities are things you can develop, but they are still things you were born with the gift to do. What did we do to deserve those talents? Therefore, I really do agree that it's far more about the choices you make. This defines who you really are because you have complete control of your own choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't read any of the Harry Potter books! I tried as a child, but gave up, and haven't had the time to pick it back up. Recently though, I've definitely been wanting to give it another go. Although I didn't understand all the Harry Potter references, I loved this quote anyways and as usual I loved your interpretation. Can't wait for next week's quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not express in words how much I smiled during this post. Your passion defiantly showed in this post. It was really cool how you related multiple aspect of harry potter to this quote, it really shows your master of all things Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it a very interesting perception that you consider Harry Potter a gift to the world! Happy to hear you are passionate about its teachings and what the story line brings to the table in the sense of lessons and morals. The quote as a title serves very well in all your posts and gives the reader insight before considering whether they actually want to read the most or not. As soon as I saw Dumbledore I submerged myself into the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love this post and everything about it. I have read the Harry Potter series books multiple times, as well as the movies. I swear that there is nothing more joyous and beautiful than finding out a new fact or "piece of the puzzle" in the Harry Potter World. Every quotable statement that comes out of Dumbledore's mouth gives me power to persevere in this realistic world. -Proud Hufflepuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am a shameless Harry Potter fan. I absolutely loved the post and how personal you made the story seem by illustrating your well loved novels. Not only did your post connect personally to such an adored piece of literature, it also did a very effective analysis of the quote you chose. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I haven't reread the series, it was undoubtedly one of the best and most capturing series I have read, so I completely understand where you are coming from! This is one quote I remember explicitly from reading and watching and as I was reading I can honestly say I had to scene rolling through my head. And learning life lessons out of fiction is real too. I do it all the time, whether reading or watching something new, it all can have an effect! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first time checking out your blog and I regret not looking at it sooner! I'm sure most people can relate as far as their love for Harry Potter. Personally I never read the books but I watched the movies and it truly is an enchanting series. I love the way you analyze quotes, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete