Thursday, November 5, 2015

"Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway." ~Mary Kay Ash

According to my extensive research, bumblebee flight does not in fact violate the laws of physics, but this was news to me (I have about as much scientific knowledge as a third grader).  Nevertheless, bumblebees have tiny wings and comparatively huge bodies and manage to fly long distances with apparent ease, and I find that to be truly amazing.

Let's disregard science for a moment and pretend that aerodynamically, bumblebees are technically incapable of flight.  This allows us to take Mary Kay Ash's quote for what it is--a fantastic metaphor that can apply to many situations in our lives.

We'll call this the Bumblebee Mentality: "Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway."

The bumblebee is not conscious of its less-than-ideal anatomy for flying.  It just goes on and does what it needs to do to survive and thrive, without worrying that it is not capable of accomplishing its goals (of pollinating flowers and possibly terrorizing small children).

Life is a little bit more complex for us because we know exactly what we shouldn't be able to do.  Humans technically shouldn't be able to live on Mars or cure cancer or end violence and terrorism in the world.  However, there are so many amazing people with the Bumblebee Mentality who are working towards achieving these incredible feats.  They are capable of eliminating thoughts like "this is inconceivable," and "this can never be done."  They pretend to be unaware that some things are nearly impossible and go on to defy the odds, (hopefully) eventually achieving these amazing feats anyway.  
Photo courtesy of Tom Blackwell
Many of us are not working towards curing cancer, per se.  Yet, there are small victories in our own lives that could be won if we embrace the Bumblebee Mentality.  So many times, we shy away from daunting tasks because we don't think we are capable.  The only way to find out whether or not we're capable of something is to try.  After all, the bumblebee doesn't know that it shouldn't technically be able to fly, but it goes on flying each day.

Every NewYear's Eve, I, along with everyone else in the world, make New Year's Resolutions that I never keep.  We have the best intentions of eating healthy, doing one good deed every day, working ahead on homework, and keeping our rooms spotless (these are usually my goals), but something always gets in the way.  I usually pride myself on my self-discipline but for some reason, written goals always end badly for me.  I think this is because writing them down reminds me that I struggle with them and reminds me of my lack of confidence in these areas of my life.

If we just do and don't dream, we will be well on our way to executing the Bumblebee Mentality and will be able to accomplish so much that we never thought possible.  

Theoretically, the college student shouldn't be able to eat, sleep, do homework, socialize, and join service and recreational organizations, but the college student doesn't know so it goes on trying anyway. (A semi-original quote by Yours Truly).

6 comments:

  1. This quote is awesome; I do wish I could be more like the bumblebee. Right now I'm trying to imagine a world where everyone followed this mentality, and I think it would be incredible. I agree that most of the time the only thing stopping us from achieving our goals is ourselves, and we could do amazing things if we didn't doubt our abilities. Of course, there are still plenty of things we can't do, but this mindset can help us keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard this quote before but I love it! Everything that you analyzed definitely makes sense. I also love your own spin on the quote at the end, which is definitely true, and I think it has the potential to become a famous quote soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post and I loved the quote! I think it is something we can all relate to and you did a great job analyzing and explaining it. We all have our doubts and insecurities about ourselves but if we think more like a bumblebee, we can all do great things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard this quote before, but it has been a while since I have cracked my plethora of Mary Kate and Ashley movies at home. Nonetheless, I think this is a great analysis of this quote. I too sometimes wish that I could be like the bumble bee described in the quote; I think I would get a lot more accomplished that way. As they say, "ignorance is bliss". With ignorance we make many mistakes that make us stronger, but a lot of us do not even want to take a chance at falling down. I guess it is the human's internal need to be curious that keeps us from being like the bumble bee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This weekend someone told me "don't let your dreams be dreams," and it's funny that you're writing on this subject! Bumblebees are amazing creatures, and I will strive to be more like one, only without striking fear into the hearts of others and all that. And as soon as a dream becomes a reality it's one of the coolest things ever, it's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your post, especially the last few lines, to be quite inspiring. I have always struggled with written goals and resolutions, and I think I may have finally found why. Quite often the weight of an impending task results in struggles accomplishing the goal. I really enjoyed this post. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete